Monday, February 8, 2010

How to make an "aged" necklace



I had a really great time working on this necklace today. Took me awhile with all the different steps. I started with one of my hollow cone beads which I etched. To etch a bead I dip in a glass etching liquid, (ammonium biflouride), for 4 minutes, take it out and rinse in a bowl of water with baking soda added. This neutralizes the acid. Then I wash the bead with soap and water. Now it's time to create the pendant.

First I cut several pieces of fine silver wire in 1-1/2" lengths and used my torch to make headpins. Headpins are what I used to make the pearl dangles. I melted the ends of the wire into little balls. (The little balls on the ends of the wire are what keep the beads from falling off.) The headpins, along with all the other metal used for this piece, chain links, sterling beads, etc, are then dipped in an oxidiziing solution which darkens the metal. This oxidizing step can be done either before the piece is assembled or after. I thought for this particular piece it would be easier to do this step first because the metal has to be burnished and polished after oxidizing to get that nice "antiquing" effect and I didn't want to scratch all the little pearl dangles while going through the antiquing steps. Now I can assemble the pendant and create the necklace. I know I should have taken photos. I always think of that after I'm done. I'll try to remember next time.

You'll find this great antiqued necklace in my Etsy store.

3 comments:

Poltron said...

wow cool blog! your jewelry is beautiful! I found your blog randomly. You should check out mine. http://ohiwentthere.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hello, nice blog!
See my site: www.freetomar.com/
Bye!

sara! said...

Lovely necklace... and you etched the bead yourself! :) I like your blog - hope you don't I am following it!

sara!